(High protein, low fat)
Yield: Approximately 24 meatballs (2 ounces each)
|Turkey, ground, extra lean, fresh||2 pounds|
|Egg, white only, cooked, minced||.20 pounds|
|Egg, whole||1 each|
|Rice, brown, cooked||1 cup|
|Carrot, small, peeled||1 each|
|Celery, stalk||1 each|
|Onion, white||1 each|
|Garlic, cloves||5 each|
|Oregano, fresh, minced||1 tablespoon|
|Thyme, fresh, minced||1 tablespoon|
|Mint, fresh, minced||1 tablespoon|
|Salt, kosher||to taste|
|Pepper. black||to taste|
- Cook brown rice according to directions on package and allow it to cool completely.
- Finely chop the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic in a food processor. Be sure to drain excess liquid after.
- Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper. If fresh ground turkey was not available, frozen turkey may be substituted. The mixture may need slightly more panko to absorb the extra moisture.
- Roll the meatballs to desired size (depending on application).
- Gently cook in tomato sauce (or our tomato soup) for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Be sure to not cook the meatballs too fast, as they will dry out.
NOTE: This recipe can also be used to make turkey meatloaf or turkey burgers (simply omit the rice and increase the amount of panko for burgers).